Backup of debian

Hi folks,

I'd like to get some input on an idea I had to backup a pure debian
system.

I like my backups on cd-r, so my current system backup eats roughly 10
cd-r. For me, this seems a little too much, because all packages are
available via the internet, nowadays pretty fast with dsl/cable.

So, I thought to take the information about the running system from
the file /var/lib/dpkg/status, and just backing up those files
deviating from the packages default-configs (the full files, no
diffs). Additionally, /home gets backed up, perhaps some exclusions,
but no binaries except those needed to make the cd bootable to restore
the system via  internet. Also, it might be possible to backup any
/usr/local stuff (which by definition is not debian). Details to be
discussed.

I know a restore would probably cost more time than a backup on a tape
or a bunch of cds, but it would have the benefit of having a small
footprint, being pretty fast and IMHO more suitable for a home
environment.

Any ideas? Input? Help? What do you guys think might be an even better
idea for a backup with such requirements (fast, small, home-env)?

--
Tschoe,                http://gecius.de/gpg-key.txt - Fingerprint:
 Jens                  1AAB 67A2 1068 77CA 6B0A  41A4 18D4 A89B 28D0 F097