Re: Aviplay question (AC3 audio related)

>> Seems that this is the reason:
>> AC3 pass-through audio decoder created
>> src [wFormatTag=0x2000, nChannels=3, nSamplesPerSec=48000,
>> nAvgBytesPerSec=16000, nBlockAlign=1, wBitsPerSample=0, cbSize=18]
>> dst [wFormatTag=0x2000, nChannels=3, nSamplesPerSec=32000,
>> nAvgBytesPerSec=192000, nBlockAlign=6144, wBitsPerSample=16, cbSize=18]
>> SdlAudioRenderer: FATAL: Couldn't open audio device: 1 (mono) and 2
>> (stereo) channels supported
>>
>> Does it mean that I can't play this file on using my current hardware
>> (soundcard is a cheap CM8x38-based)?
> you can... there's probably a program blocking the audio device....
> (maybe a sound daemon, like esd or artsd) if you kill this program
> aviplay should work (if you have the right permissions on /dev/dsp,
> of course (adduser user audio and a relogin would do it))

Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, you've told nothing new for me. After all, I am Linux user
and administrator since early 1996 ...
My user account has write permission to /dev/dsp, and /dev/dsp is not
blocked by any other process. Artsd is running, but it is configured to
auto-suspend after 1 second of idle. I can start different programs that do
use sound, and they work perfectly. I even can start aviplay with other
movies, and sound is OK.

In this case, something specific is happening, and I can't find out what
exactly.

Maybe it is "nChannels=3" in the above log: perhaps it wants more output
channels that my audiocard supports? I don't know much about digital audio.

Other guess is about artsd. My libsdl is libsdl1.2debian-arts, so when
aviplay uses SDL driver, it should output to artsd (and it does when
playing other movies). Maybe artsd can't handle nChannels=3?

What is AC3 audio format, after all? Can it be played on a cheap audio card?