problems with OpenSSH update on potato

i can't risk upgrading my remote machines, sofar this
has happened twice while doing an update:

Stopping OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
sh: /dev/tty: Device not configured
sh: /dev/tty: Device not configured
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/ssh_1%3a1.2.3-9.4_i386.deb (--unpack): subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 30
sh: /dev/tty: Device not configured
sh: /dev/tty: Device not configured
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 30
 /var/cache/apt/archives/ssh_1%3a1.2.3-9.4_i386.deb

i suppose i could fire up a SSH daemon on another port
to let me into the system but any idea why its doing this ?
i got the  /dev/tty error on a bunch of other systems but
it did not cause the ssh upgrade to error out(tonight
i have upgraded 6 potato systems)

on the first system this occured on i ran apt-get upgrade
again manually and it brought up a screen about saying
i have PermitRootLogin set to yes (its set to yes for
rsync backups to preserve uid/gid/permissions), and just
an OK prompt. once i hit OK its fine again. I figure
i can do the same with this system but am curious why it
errors out in the first place, previous ssh upgrades did
not error out !

this is just a routine upgrade, from 2.2r4 to 2.2r5+security.org
updates ...

nate