Re: Parsing a file name in the shell

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 10:51, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Try:
>    ls [0-9]*
>
> This is a minimalistic use of Regular Expressions.  A simple script to
> delete these sub-directories might be:
>   #!/bin/sh
>   for i in `ls [0-9]*`; do
>       echo $i
>       rm -rf $i
>   done

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. For everyone else's
benefit, the ls command needs a '-d' so the directory names are printed.
The default for 'ls *' is to print the directory name followd by a colon
and new line. So it should be `ls -d [0-9]*`.

Thanks again, I was stuck thinking that Bash had to have a way to parse
the names returned instead of using something that already does.