Creating boot floppies

  The creation of boot floppies used to occur during the installation of
  kernel-image. However, when I just installed 2.4.17, I wasn't asked to
  create a boot floppy. And I want to create one.

  I discovered mkrescue but every operation resulted in some sort of an
  error, not the least of which was trying to cram a 3.3 MB initrd image
  and a 650 kB kernel onto a 1.44 MB floppy. I'm still without a boot
  floppy and having had dire need of them in the past, I am very
  interested in making another.

  Why was the creation of the boot floppy dropped from the installation
  of kernel-image? What is the alternative?

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!