How to keep modules configs current

Hi,

Sometimes when I compile a new kernel and include a
different set of modules it can happen that there
are some error messages at boot time issued mostly
by modprobe saying something about devices/modules
or aliases not found. Or sometimes that it cannot load
a module because it might be compiled into the kernel.
It seems to me that entries left from previous kernel
versions stay in the config files somehow.
I've tried modconf, depmod -a and looked at /etc/modules
and /etc/modules.conf

But to be honest I'm still somewhat confused about when I
need to use/modify which...

What is the proper way for handling this kind of problems?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for your help in advance!
best regards,
Balazs