Re: praise to the debian gods

* John Cichy <john@greengator.com> [02/02/05 09:47]:
> And does anyone have any reason why I should not run reiserfs on the partion
> where the database will be stored?

Here is one good reason why you should not run ReiserFS, at least on an
IDE drive:

http://www.reiserfs.org/faq.html#read-starvation

    Why do things freeze on my IDE hard drive for annoying amounts of
    time?

    Because when large writes are scheduled all at once, reads can
    starve. A fix for this is evolving; the later your ReiserFS patch,
    the better we handle this.

This was annoying enough for me that I got rid of ReiserFS and went with
ext3.  Subjectively speaking, ext3 seems just as fast as ReiserFS,
except on directories with thousands of files.

Regards,
Eric