Re: StarOffice Fireballs on HP Omnibook XE3L

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 03:59:14PM +1030, David Purton wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> I'm trying to get StarOffice 5.2 to run on my dad's HP Omnibook XE3L
> notebook.
>
> It seems to load sort of ok, but X grinds to a slow painful crawl (like
> big delays on just moving the mouse) and black lines appear right across
> the screen.  The only way to recover seems to be to kill the Xserver
> from a remote shell - sometimes I can switch to a vt, but not always.
> I'm guessing it is a video card problem - since the software setup of a
> 2.4.4 kernel and latest woody stuff is identical to my desktop which has
> no such problems
>
> the video card, according to lspci is:
>
> VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV (rev 13)

This is due to a bug in the S3 driver for X. You can get a fixed
driver from http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html or, quoting the
FAQ at this site: set an environment variable
"SAL_DO_NOT_USE_INVERT50" to "true" before launching StarOffice.

If you upgrade the driver you will need to remember to replace it when
you upgrade X as it will be overwritten, at least until the patch
finds its way to the main xfree86 distribution.

HTH,
dt
--
Dave Thayer           | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
Denver, Colorado USA  | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all