StarOffice Fireballs on HP Omnibook XE3L

Hi everybody

I'm trying to get StarOffice 5.2 to run on my dad's HP Omnibook XE3L
notebook.

It seems to load sort of ok, but X grinds to a slow painful crawl (like
big delays on just moving the mouse) and black lines appear right across
the screen.  The only way to recover seems to be to kill the Xserver
from a remote shell - sometimes I can switch to a vt, but not always.
I'm guessing it is a video card problem - since the software setup of a
2.4.4 kernel and latest woody stuff is identical to my desktop which has
no such problems

the video card, according to lspci is:

VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV (rev 13)

Everything else works beautifully (except the winmodem) - so it's
bugging me that this still fails :(

Anyone have any suggestions?

cheers

dc

But, with very few exceptions, it is the composers of
the tunes, not the writers of the words, which have
made our English hymns famous.  The average Englishman
will happily sing any words to a good tune.

                                        Reginald Frary
                               "Don't upset the choir"

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/