Weekend update issues

Greetings.

I have my system (woody) set to do an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade
twice a week at 3 am.

This morning, when I arrived, things were odd:

- The pre-existing link /usr/share/texmf/web2c -> /var/lib/texmf/web2c was
gone, rendering latex inoperative without recreating it by hand; and
- xdvi.bin is gone, making xdvi inoperative.

I haven't discovered anything else yet, but I'm wondering if anyone's had
similar experiences, or suggestions as to what might have happened. I'm
most concerned with the possibility my system may have been compromised.

Thanks for any advice.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA