Re: serial mouse

On Sunday 03 February 2002 11:18 pm, Jason Majors wrote:
> I've installed Debian on a friend's ancient machine that has a serial mouse
> connection. X fails to load because it can't find the mouse. If the serial
> mouse is connected to the first serial port, what device do I need to link
> to /dev/mouse?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

generally, you need either /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1. if the machine has an
internal modem, it might be hogging /dev/ttyS2, which would disable the use
of /dev/ttyS0. try an ls -al on the first four /dev/tty(#) to see if any
other devices have claimed those ports. then try linking /dev/mouse to
whichever of the first four is free, and retry the x config. also, take a
look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log, which will give you a more verbose
description of why x crashed.