Re: dpkg error?

On Sunday 03 February 2002 12:55 pm, Jan-Hendrik Palic wrote:
> Hi ...
>
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 12:14:58PM -0900, Greg C. Madden wrote:
> >I removed gpm with: 'update-rc.d -f gpm remove' then 'dpkg -P gpm'
> >Apparently this did not remove a reference to gpm somewhere in the
> > dpkg system. Dselect will not install new packages as it fails with
> > the following messages:
snip

> why did you not purge gpm with dpkg -P gpm only?
> It will work as well. If you will do so, without update-rc.d -f gpm

Thanks for the info, I was under the (mistaken?) impression that
'update-rc.d' removed the links from ~/init.d/ to the various run
levels, so I used it first, (I thought it would leave the gpm script in
~/init.d)

Then on some subsequent update gpm  was being reinstalled/reconfigured
so I did the 'dpkg -P' to not have any more references to it on my box.

I have already ran 'dpkg -P' and didn't notice the error messages until
I tried using dselect, I usually use 'apt-get'

> Because of the running update-rc.d -f gpm remove before purging gpm,
> there is no /etc/init.d/gpm, so the dpkg is not able to purge gpm at
> all. Look intp /var/lib/dpkg/info/gpm.prerm, there will be a test
> like
>
>   if /etc/init.d/gpm stop; then return 0; fi
>
> comment or delete this line, and  then, dpkg -P will work.

I renamed the file ~.save and dselect worked :)

--
Greg Madden