Re: What is a good, small, web browser?

on Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:29 AM +0100, Karsten Heymann (karsten.heymann@gmx.de) wrote:
> * Seneca Cunningham <seneca@slemish.com> [020201 11:05]:
> > David Moore <davmre@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > I have a very good reason for not wanting to install GNOME or another
> > desktop manager. I tried GNOME about a month ago, and it's performance
> > was similar to that of my 286 when windows 3.0 was installed on it.
> > You really could doze off while it was loading.
>
> Well, galeon depends on the gnome libs installed, but it does not depend
> on gnome running. If your disk space is not a problem, you could try it
> out. Apart from that, w3m and links are very cool too (and don't forget
> netcat :-))

I'll also strongly plug Galeon.  If you're not violently allergic to
GNOME libs (and yes, it does suck in a whole mess of them, along with
all of Mozilla), it's an ass-kicking browser.

It's not for older/slower boxen though.  I'd recommend *NO LESS* than a
PII-233, and think you'll be happier with a PIII-600+ CPU.  For memory,
128 MiB minimum, 256 strongly recommended.  Particularly under intensive
use (I can easily get over 100 tabs/windows open) it sucks both CPU and
memory.  But it does good things with both.

Otherwise, Browse-X is the best full-featured, lightweight, SSL-enabled
browser I've run across.

> Karsten

Likewise.

Peace.