Re: 2.2r5: ReiserFS at Root Partition

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 09:06:46 -0900, Greg C. Madden wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-02-02 at 05:11, debian@phpinfo.at wrote:
> > Is it possible to choose ReiserFS in the 2.2r5 setup routine as standard
> > Filesystem instead of ext2 ?
> No, filesystem support is supplied by the kernel and that version of
> Debian does not use a kernel with Reiser support.

There are unofficial boot-floppies for potato available that do offer
installation on reiserfs: http://freshmeat.net/projects/debian-reiser/

Personally, I currently prefer ext3. Reiserfs has a nice design, but its
fsck is reportedly very immature compared to the ext[23] one, so that if
things do go wrong, they tend to go wrong extremely thoroughly.

For an ext3 install of potato, just do a regular install of potato on ext2,
upgrade to Adrian Bunk's update packages for running a 2.4 kernel, build a
2.4 kernel, tune2fs -j your ext2 partitions, edit fstab, boot to the new

Ziff Davis is so obviously biased to Microsoft in almost everything they
publish, that they might as well change their company name to MS-PRAVDA.
	Darryl Householder commenting on extreme PC Week FUD