Re: cups+samba

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:30:01PM +0100, Mirek Dobsicek wrote:

| First I've inslalled samba* and cups* debs to my woody box.
| I tried to share some folders with samba and it worked fine.

| well, my printer Epson LQ 100+ ESC/P2 is found on /dev/lp0

Is that a line printer or an inkjet?

| /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p EpsonLQ -E -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -m epson24.ppd

I think those epson drivers are for line printers, not inkjets.

| whouu, it's printing, but the resolution is terrible.

If it's an inkjet, I'm not too surprised.  Did you install the
cupsys-driver-gimpprint and the cupsomatic-ppd packages?

| Wanted to edit some config, but I cant find any. Where are
| stored information about my printer??? Which file I have to edit?

Point a web browser at http://localhost:631/

The web interface is really convenient and it will list all the
available drivers.  Pick the one that is closest to your model.

| Finaly, on cups.org i find how to make cups and samba work together.
| I added this lines to my smb.conf
|
| printing = cups
| load printers = yes

Good

| printcap name = cups

Is that where your printcap is?  Likely not.  Here's the relevant
portions of my smb.conf :

[global]
    printing = cups
    load printers = yes
;
; A "magic" section.
;
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    available = yes
    directory = /tmp
    printable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mode = 0666
    browseable = yes

    guest ok = yes
    guest account = nobody

The other day I noticed that with /etc/printcap non-existant, my
printers didn't exist.  I created the "bogus" printcap by modifying
the line in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to be

Printcap /etc/printcap

and restarting cups.  The printcap for me looks like :

canon:
ljet:
raw_lp:
thermal:

(that is, it is just a place holder for the names so that apps that
parse the the printcap to find printers will find the names.

HTH,
-D

--

THe lot is cast into the lap,
but its every decision is from the Lord.