dpkg error modutils

Howdy im having a little error on dselect running update.
When configuring modutils i get the message:

running dpkg --pending --configure ...
Setting up modutils (2.4.13-1) ...
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.17-k7/kernel/drivers/usb/pwcx-i386.o
dpkg: error processing modutils (--configure):
 modutils

Now i know the problem its this pwcx-i386 module wich is a thirdparty module
not included in the kernel, originally made for kernel 2.4.6 but i used it
with sucess for a long time in the 2.4.13-2.4.17 kernels (i have to plug the
module with insmod -f pwcx-i386) and depmod always gave me unresolved symbols
but that is allright it worked anyway.
Now my question is: i updated modutils a few times lately but this is the
first time that it will leave the package unconfigured cause of that error
does that mean that its kaputt now? or should i just ignore it ?
Thanx for suggestions
Florian