Re: Best way to encrypt data

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:44:15AM -0700, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> What's the best way to encrypt data on your hard drive such that if it
> is stolen you have some assurance that they can't get at the data? My
> understanding of how cryptography works is limited, but it seems that
> public/private key stuff, like GnuPG, wouldn't be sufficient for this
> because your secret key is stored on the hard drive and if someone
> gets that it's all over.

Well, your GPG gey is password protected, so you're not *completely*
screwed if somebody gets your drive.  But, as is typically with matters
of secrecy, you must always assume the worst.

One option is to keep your key on a separate drive (a floppy or
removable HD, perhaps, that is not left with the computer when you're
not there.)

You can also look in to one of the cryptographic filesystems out there.
I have not actually used one, but there's a lot of work being done on
(some of) them and the concept is intriguing.

noah