Re: Windows vs. Linux

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 12:01:50PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > AFAICT, Linux grew out of need for an _affordable_ and free POSIX kernel
> > so that you don't have to spend billions just to run UNIX like
> > OS.
>
> It grew out of one man's University homework, and dissatisfaction
> with Minix (a tiny, "teaching" clone of Unix written by Linus'
> Univerity Professor Andrew Tannenbaum.

No, Tanenbaum was never Linus' professor.  Tanenbaum teaches in the
Netherlands, Linus was a student in Finland.  During the famous
Linus/Tanenbaum debates of 10 years or so ago, Tanenbaum said that if
Linux had been written for one of his OS classes, it would have received
a failing grade (due to its monolithic kernel architecture).

You can find the Tanenbaum/Torvalds debates at
http://www.dina.dk/~abraham/Linus_vs_Tanenbaum.html

One interesting thing about them is that fairly early on, Tanenbaum
criticises Linux for being closely tied to the Intel architecture.  I
find that a bit amusing, since I'm running Linux on SPARCs, PowerPCs,
MIPSes, and ARMs.  8^)

noah