Re: Windows vs. Linux

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 01:38:07 -0600 Adam Majer <adamm@galacticasoftware.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 09:49:32PM -0800,  Bruce Burhans wrote:
> >     Someone asked me what the difference between Windows and Linux was,
> > and I presumed to answer:
> >
> >     Windows grew out of the work of self-involved   gameplayers, and
> > Linux grew out of the work of people
> > concerned with using the computer to make the world a better place.
> >
> >     That's my impression, anyway.
>
> Not really :)
>
> IMHO, Windows grew out of MS-DOS with influence of Apple OS.

Not just in your HO, but that is it in reality.  Anyone involved
with PCs since the late 80s could tell you.

> AFAICT, Linux grew out of need for an _affordable_ and free POSIX kernel
> so that you don't have to spend billions just to run UNIX like
> OS.

It grew out of one man's University homework, and dissatisfaction
with Minix (a tiny, "teaching" clone of Unix written by Linus'
Univerity Professor Andrew Tannenbaum.  Linus wanted a more
POSIX-compatible OS for his 386.  Even though the software was
GPL, World Domination was not on the Agenda.  That came later.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |