Re: Sample exim config file?

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 08:48:19AM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
| On Thu Jan 31 23:29:30 2002 dman wrote...
| >
| >On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 10:04:40PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
| >| After listening to everyones recomendations on an MTA for my needs, I
| >| decided to give exim a try.
| >|
| >| I used eximconfig, and took choice 2, but i'm afraid that I don't
| >| understand the questions it asks well enough to arrive at a working config.
| >|
| >| Here is what I'm trying to set up. I want all outgoing mail routed to
| >| mail.xx.com, where xxx is one of my ISP's. I want the user ID's rewriten to
| >| match how he recives mail for me (I'm pretty certain I have this part
| >| correct). I wan't to retireve mail using fetchmail, which will then hand
| >| off to procmail, which after filtering will place some mail in specific
| >| mail foolders (list subscriptions), and then will pass the remainder on to
| >| my default mailbox.
| >
| >This is a classic "smarthost" configuration.  See
| >    http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user%40lists.debian.org/msg82754.html
| >for step-by-step answers to the questions.
| Thanks for the help. I found out that the problem was that I had set up
| .forward, as specifed in the SpamBouncer instructiosn, wgich did not work
| with exim. I presently _am_ using forwar for my sendmail installation on
| the HP, so it sounded like I need to do that. In an effor to break the big
| problem down into small amangeable chunks, I deleted it, and vola, things
| started working!
| Looks like exim does not know how to deal with ,fooorwards? Does tha make
| sense?

exim supports .forward files.  They can either be the traditional
flat-list of addresses (or pipes) to deliver the mail to, or it can be
an exim filter if it starts with
    # Exim filter

(see /usr/share/doc/exim/filter.txt.gz)
| >As for the rewriting of names, edit /etc/email-addresses and add an
| >entry for each user or read spec.txt regarding rewriting rules.  I
| >don't think you really need them anyways since you set the From:
| >header in your MUA.
| Umm,. I do need to hide the reall origin as much as possible. You would not
| believe what  sidiotic checks are being prefromed by some mailing lists (in
| the _name_ of anit spam :-(). FreeBSD is just nuts babout this.

Read through spect.txt.gz in the doc directory.  You can do a lot of
stuff, and the config syntax is really easy to work with.  I haven't
really done anything with rewriting myself.
| >| Does nayone have a smaple exim config file I could look at?
| >
| >If you really want it, but my setup is quite a bit different -- I send
| >outgoing mail directly to the MX handlers and incoming mail is
| >received directly (it would work just as well coming from fetchmail
| >though, there's no difference).
| I reallu _hate_ having to go to realy, but the above mailing lists are
| forcing me to. Do you have a real registerd domain & reverse DNS working/
| If so, what did it cost & who is doing it for you?

dman.ddts.net is my name, it costs nothing but is an A record only.
'apt-get install ddt-client' and go register at ddts.net :-).  Some MX
handlers do reject connections because they can't reverse-lookup my
name or because there's no MX record for my domain.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our
sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
        I John 1:9