Re: Sample exim config file?

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 08:48:19AM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
| On Thu Jan 31 23:29:30 2002 dman wrote...
| >
| >On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 10:04:40PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
| >| After listening to everyones recomendations on an MTA for my needs, I
| >| decided to give exim a try.
| >|
| >| I used eximconfig, and took choice 2, but i'm afraid that I don't
| >| understand the questions it asks well enough to arrive at a working config.
| >|
| >| Here is what I'm trying to set up. I want all outgoing mail routed to
| >| mail.xx.com, where xxx is one of my ISP's. I want the user ID's rewriten to
| >| match how he recives mail for me (I'm pretty certain I have this part
| >| correct). I wan't to retireve mail using fetchmail, which will then hand
| >| off to procmail, which after filtering will place some mail in specific
| >| mail foolders (list subscriptions), and then will pass the remainder on to
| >| my default mailbox.
| >
| >This is a classic "smarthost" configuration.  See
| >    http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user%40lists.debian.org/msg82754.html
| >for step-by-step answers to the questions.
|
| Thanks for the help. I found out that the problem was that I had set up
| .forward, as specifed in the SpamBouncer instructiosn, wgich did not work
| with exim. I presently _am_ using forwar for my sendmail installation on
| the HP, so it sounded like I need to do that. In an effor to break the big
| problem down into small amangeable chunks, I deleted it, and vola, things
| started working!
|
| Looks like exim does not know how to deal with ,fooorwards? Does tha make
| sense?

exim supports .forward files.  They can either be the traditional
flat-list of addresses (or pipes) to deliver the mail to, or it can be
an exim filter if it starts with
    # Exim filter

(see /usr/share/doc/exim/filter.txt.gz)

| >As for the rewriting of names, edit /etc/email-addresses and add an
| >entry for each user or read spec.txt regarding rewriting rules.  I
| >don't think you really need them anyways since you set the From:
| >header in your MUA.
|
| Umm,. I do need to hide the reall origin as much as possible. You would not
| believe what  sidiotic checks are being prefromed by some mailing lists (in
| the _name_ of anit spam :-(). FreeBSD is just nuts babout this.

Read through spect.txt.gz in the doc directory.  You can do a lot of
stuff, and the config syntax is really easy to work with.  I haven't
really done anything with rewriting myself.

| >| Does nayone have a smaple exim config file I could look at?
| >
| >If you really want it, but my setup is quite a bit different -- I send
| >outgoing mail directly to the MX handlers and incoming mail is
| >received directly (it would work just as well coming from fetchmail
| >though, there's no difference).
|
| I reallu _hate_ having to go to realy, but the above mailing lists are
| forcing me to. Do you have a real registerd domain & reverse DNS working/
| If so, what did it cost & who is doing it for you?

dman.ddts.net is my name, it costs nothing but is an A record only.
'apt-get install ddt-client' and go register at ddts.net :-).  Some MX
handlers do reject connections because they can't reverse-lookup my
name or because there's no MX record for my domain.

-D

--

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our
sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.