LAN setup

Hello all,
I've got my LAN set up and running, and so far so good.  I'm using a
gateway/router/firewall (hadrian) to stop unwanted traffic and allow
internet access and LAN access to everybody else.  Then I have
gashuffer, my main workstation, and a Win box that my girlfriend uses,
and an occasional laptop.  Now, the question is this:
Without running BIND on hadrian (or elsewhere on the LAN) is there a
way to allow, e.g.:

ssh steve@hadrian (ssh steve@192.168.0.1 works fine now)

or an exim .forward like
# Exim filter
# --------------
#Forward all mail to gashuffer

if      $h_From:  matches "whatever@whatever"
then
        deliver steve@gashuffer
	finish
endif

I ask because BIND seems more trouble than it's worth, security-wise,
and it's a small LAN that's well served by my ISP's nameservers.
Right now I can't even mail to steve@192.168.0.2 (gashuffer's LAN
address) although I'm not sure exim like's those sorts of addresses.
Any pointers to good docs or suggestions welcome.
Thanks all,
Steve
--
I have never understood the female capacity to avoid a direct answer to
any question.