Re: MTA recomendations?

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:55:59PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
> I'm seting up a new woody box for my wife to use. I need a recomendation on
> an easy to set up, reliable MTA.
>
> Heres the setup, the box will realy all outgoing mail through a local ISP.
> It will run fetchmail to retireve mail from that ISP, which will then call
> procmail to use SpamBouncer, which will in turn call the MTA to deliver
> mall to a local mailbaox. It will be read using elm (or perhaps mutt).
>
> I would think this was a failry common stup.
>
> Oh, BTW user names on the local box do not map directly to user names at
> teh ISP, so I need for the MTA to rewrite the sender on the way out, and I
> need for it to understamd that mail for, say, sandib@xxx.com is really for
> the local user sandi.
>
> Thanks for any sugestions on this, as this Christmas present is runig a bit
> behind schedule, and I'm getting a lot of flack from te local user
> community  :-)

I'd recommend qmail (fast, reliable, secure) or postfix (fast, reliable,
secure, easy to configure (or so I'v heard - haven't tried it yet)).

http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html, http://www.lifewithqmail.org/
http://www.postfix.org/
						m&f
(Did you hear that? Sounds like a flamewar coming)

--
The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get
as smart as men but that we will meanwhile agree to meet