ext3 on Debian woody

[Please CC me in replies, as I'm not currently subscribed to debian-user]

Hi,

I just successfully did the following:

1.) add ext3 to /etc/mkinitrd/modules
2.) mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.4.17+ext3-686 /lib/modules/2.4.17-686/
3.) in /etc/lilo.conf set initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.17+ext3-686
4.) tune2fs -j <device> for all filesystems to create journals
5.) edit /etc/fstab replacing ext2 with ext3

Unfortunately, this means that I have to recreate my initrd everytime a
new kernel package is to be installed. What do you think about enabling
ext3 support in the standard kernels by default? I'm not talking about
switching the default fs type already to ext3, but to change the initrd
for the "stock" kernel packages. ext3 is already in there as a module, it
just has to be enabled.

Another thing I noticed: After rebooting, / was mounted ro as ext2 (!) and
fsck'd. Maybe we should also fix that, so that the journal is really used
also for the root fs.

If I'm too complicated and there's easier, documented, working solutions,
please enlighten me :-)

Alex

PS: Couldn't find anything on the list archives, only things I found were
google::"+debian +ext3"

--
"Forgive me, but I'm talking to a politician."
	John Simpson, BBC World