Re: install latest debian 2.4.16 kernelimage has devfs activated, why?

On 29 Jan 2002 11:03:07 -0800
Dave Carrigan <dave@rudedog.org> wrote:

> Walter Tautz <wtautz@math.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

[...]
> > Just curious to hear other people's opinions on this matter, i.e.
> > don't use devfs. It seems to me the debian kernel should have
> > CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=n.
>
> Some people want devfs. Devfs can't be created as a module. Hence, the
> logical choice is to build the kernel with devfs support. Nothing's
> forcing you to use devfs, even if your kernel has devfs support, and the
> overhead is not very much.

But, let's say I just want to play with devfs, could I still go back to
my old disk-based setup? Could I still boot my old devfsd-disabled
kernel after using a devfsd-enabled kernel?

--
Humanity's future is in the stars:
support a manned mission to Mars!