Re: KDE screen colors

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 01:31:08 -0500
"Jeff J." <jeff@campbellcounty.com> wrote:
> Alright, just finished installing Woody.  My video card is an nvidia
> geforce2 mx400.  When you run KDE, everything appears fine.  When you
> load a program (such as xmms) the program in the foreground looks
> okay, but the rest of your KDE desktop turns colors and gets a bit..
> fuzzy? maybe that is not an accurate description.  Anyhow, hopefully
> someone will know what I'm talking about and how to fix it.

Sounds like you're running in a low bit-depth.

Basically, if your video card or the video mode you're using doesn't
support many colours, X will make the program that's focused look as
best as it can, while sacrificing the programs which arn't in focus.

If /etc/X11/X points to XFree86 (check by doing 'ls -l /etc/X11/X'),
then you'll want to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 . In the "Screen"
section, set "DefaultDepth" to 24.

If /etc/X11/X points to something else(like XF86_<something, probably
SVGA>), then you'll want to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config . I'm not 100%
positive on what the option name will be, but it'll probably be
"DefaultDepth" too.

Enjoy. :)

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \