Re: Newbie observations on Woody install process

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 01:12, Adam Majer wrote:
> Ximian isn't bad as potato add on. But then you will have problems upgrading to
> woody and getting rid off Ximian.. It took me a while to replace all those -ximian
> packages! :)
>
> But for desktop, they do have a good product...
Well I have ximian working on a woody system.  I did have a few
dependancy problems, but I tracked them down and fixed all of them. The
jist of what I was saying is that ximian put together a good package.
Also maybe the maintainer of gnome should look at the way ximian does
things and take a few notes.  Im sure he puts together a great package
that people find to be a quality one, but when I installed it I had a
bad experience with it and found it not to be very finished looking.  I
know it is probably difficult to maintain such a complexe package and
more power to him for doing it.  This is just my opinion.

--
-Scott Henson

shenson2@wvu.edu

 "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty: power is ever stealing from
the many to the few.  The manna of popular liberty must be gathered each
day, or it is rotten... The hand entrusted with power becomes, either
from human depravity or esprit de corps, the necessary enemy of the
people.  Only by continual oversight can the democrat in office be
prevented from hardening into a despot: only by unintermitted agitation
can a people be kept sufficiently awake to principle not to let liberty
be smothered in material prosperity... Never look, for an age when the
people can be quiet and safe.  At such times despotism, like a shrouding
mist, steals over the mirror of Freedom"
- Wendell Phillips