Re: installing gnu gcc

On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 00:49, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 00:18, Markus Ray wrote: Hi,
>
> I am new to Debian and I wanted to install GNU GCC on my OS.  It says in
> the guide "when configuring a native system, either cc or gcc must be in
> your path or you must set CC in your environment before running
> configure. Otherwise the configuration scripts may fail. "  The question
> is, how do I put "cc or gcc" in my path or set CC in my enveronment?

I never answered this question.

Let us assume that gcc is at /usr/bin/gcc.  To be in your path, the path
must contain /usr/bin, as does the following example:

$ echo $PATH
/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/bin:.

Since /usr/bin is in the standard path, and that is where gcc
belongs,there is no need to do anything further.

To set an environment variable, do (for example):

$ export CC=gcc

There must be no spaces around the = sign.

This kind of thing is explained in great detail in the bash man page or
in books on shell programming.