Re: OT: Rant (re: wordperfect)

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 10:18 am, Kent West wrote:
[snip]

> >>Why oh why won't Corel release the old DOS version into the open source
> >>world?

[snip

> Yes, but I don't particularly care if the DOS version is *made
> available*; I'd like it to be *made available as open source*. Then the
> developers out there could (and hopefully would) convert it to native
> Linux, thus leading to more functional Linux software.
>
> > Note that Corel _did_ (does?) have a Unix-native version, including a
> > console mode (not available, AFAIK, in the WP8 which was made generally
> > available for GNU/Linux).  This would seem to be the program you're
> > looking for.  What the availability of this program is I don't know.

i wrote to corel, asking about the possibility of a linux version of wp5.1
ever appearing in the world. below is their response.

> The WordPerfect 5.1 for Linux/UNIX was never developped by Corel
> Corporation. The last versions to be offered for Linux/UNIX are
> WordPerfect 8 for UNIX(X graphical and console based) and WordPerfect
> Office 2000 for Linux (X graphical only).
> Both products are currently discontinued, with chances of renewal
> studied based on market demand.
>
> Thank you,
> Corel Customer Services

so i wrote back and said:

Thanks for your response. I'm aware of the fact that Corel didn't develop
WP5.1, which was a product of the former WordPerfect Corporation out of Utah,
but you do own the rights to the source--don't you? How about releasing the
source under a GPL license? Given that you do have a niche in the larger
Linux market, it would definitely enhance your standing in that community, as
well as generate a reasonable amount of publicity that would also draw
attention to your complete product range; in short, a good return that would
benefit you as well as the community.

this received no response, at all, not even an automated reply in receipt of
my mail. maybe they've got a filter over there to toss anything containing
the dreaded three letters--GPL. so, kent west, don't hold your breath.

ben