Re: Memtest tool

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 11:03, hanasaki wrote:
(looking for a memory tester)

for an x86 box you can get memtest86 at http://www.memtest86.com/  I
think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Also see the section "Test the Basic Health of Your System" in my
article "Using Test Suites to Validate the Linux Kernel" at:

http://linuxquality.sunsite.dk/articles/testsuites/

where I talk about this and other memory testing tools and burn-in
programs.

Note that while memtest86 is very good, it doesn't provide a complete
test, as it does not test DMA between your RAM and non-CPU devices.
Doug Ledford's memory test script is meant to exercise DMA and should
probably be run after you have checked things out with memtest86.

Helpfully, memtest86 will find other memory-related problems than just
your RAM.  I have some bad cache memory aboard own of my Pentium III's
that memtest86 found.  It doesn't seem to cause trouble in daily use but
memtest86 finds it repeatably with one of its tests; sometime soon I
will replace my CPU - I'm pretty sure it's the CPU because I've already
replaced all my RAM!

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford