Re: CD-ROM issue

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 11:34:58AM -0800, Shaun wrote:
| 	Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I was having trouble finding out what parameters to
| pass to the kernel during an install to allow the cd-rom to work. I have been through the mailing
| lists, debian documentation, and linuxdoc.org, and found nothing.
|
| Any help is much appreciated.

If you're using a debian-packaged 2.4.x kernel (I'll assume you have
an IDE/ATAPI cd drive) you need to load the 'ide-cd' module.  This got
me when I upgraded from 2.2 (someone on irc helped me figure that
out).  Then the drive is /dev/hd<x> where '<x>' is the letter
corresponding to the position on the bus.

-D

--

For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build