Re: DHCP-DNS dynamic update debugging help - FIXED!!

I changed my resolv.conf to the correct domain and added 2 consecutive
dots to the name causing the error.  I wasted an entire day on this
because of obscure and uninformative errors.  I HATE OBSCURE ERRORS!!!!!

>>> "Jeff Vincent" <JVINCENT@novell.com> 01/25/02 10:45AM >>>
See below.

>>> "Jeff Vincent" <JVINCENT@novell.com> 01/24/02 06:59PM >>>
Update:  the path in my /etc/dhcp-dns.conf file for nsupdate was wrong
(default install path is wrong).  One of my attempts to fix it was to
remove and reinstall dhcp-dns.  Anyway, I changed it to
/usr/bin/nsupdate instead of /usr/sbin and now I get the error:

     dns_name_fromtext: empty label

I get the error just by typing 'nsupdate' with NO options.  It appears
there is supposed to be an interactive mode, but I don't know how to
get
to it.

I downloaded the source and there are only two places it returns that
error inside the function dns_name_fromtext(), but I don't understand
the code enough to know what it is looking for and dns_name_fromtext()
is called from everywhere.  It looks like it is validating a dns name
and my guess is that maybe I have an error in a dns name somewhere,
but
I don't know how to find it.

Jeff

>>> "Jeff Vincent" <JVINCENT@novell.com> 01/24/02 06:29PM >>>
I had our dynamic dns working a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure when
it
stopped and can't figure out what is failing.

I have a subnet X.Y.A.0/22 (X.Y.A.0/255.255.252.0) with static DNS
entries for each address I have available within MYDOMAIN.COM (about
1000 total).

I realized today that if I inadvertently set a dhcp cilent's host name
to a name that already exists as a static DNS entry
(hosta-1.MYDOMAIN.COM), the dynamic update will delete the entry when
the lease expires (duhrrr!).  So to get around the problem, I created
new subzone called 'dhcp.MYDOMAIN.COM', and want to use that for all
hosts getting dynamic addresses.  However, nothing is getting updated
in
my new subdomain.  It may have stopped working before I monkeyed with
it.  DHCP is working and handing out addresses, but the dynamic update
doesn't happen.

Can anyone offer any advice as to how to debug the problem?  I added
the '-d' option to the $NSUPDATE line inside /etc/dhcp-dns.conf.  No
errors are displayed when running ddns.cron.pl manually from the
command-line and there doesn't appear to be any relevant messages in
/var/log/syslog.  There are a number of lines generated in the file
/var/lib/dhcp-dns/nsupdate.data and it all appears to be good and
correct.

Here are my config files:

//**********Start: /etc/dhcp-dns.conf
# edit these for your own system

# this conf file is 'required()' into perl scripts so
# perl syntax applies.

$DDNSHOME="/var/lib/dhcp-dns";
$DHCPD="/var/dhcp/dhcpd.leases";
$DOMAIN="dhcp.MYDOMAIN.COM";
$NSUPDATE="/usr/sbin/nsupdate -d";
//***********End: /etc/dhcp-dns.conf

//**********Start: /etc/dhcpd.conf
option domain-name "dhcp.MYDOMAIN.COM";
option domain-name-servers service1.MYDOMAIN.COM,
service2.MYDOMAIN.COM;
option routers X.Y.D.254;
option ntp-servers X.Y.D.252 , X.Y.D.253;
option subnet-mask 255.255.252.0;

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

subnet X.Y.A.0 netmask 255.255.252.0 {
        range X.Y.A.201 X.Y.A.254;
        range X.Y.B.201 X.Y.B.227;
        option broadcast-address X.Y.D.255;
        }
//**********End: /etc/dhcpd.conf

//**********Start: /etc/bind/named.conf
zone "MYDOMAIN.COM" {
        type master;
        file "/var/cache/bind/MYDOMAIN.COM.hosts";
        notify yes;
        allow-transfer {
                X.Y.D.253;
                };
        allow-update {
                X.Y.D.252;
                X.Y.D.253;
                127.0.0.1;
                };
        also-notify {
                X.Y.D.253;
                };
        };

zone "A.Y.X.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/var/cache/bind/X.Y.A.rev";
        allow-transfer {
                X.Y.D.253;
                };
        notify yes;
        also-notify {
                X.Y.D.253;
                };
        allow-update {
                X.Y.D.252;
                X.Y.D.253;
                127.0.0.1;
                };
        };

zone "B.Y.X.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/var/cache/bind/X.Y.B.rev";
        allow-transfer {
                X.Y.D.253;
                };
        notify yes;
        also-notify {
                X.Y.D.253;
                };
        allow-update {
                X.Y.D.252;
                X.Y.D.253;
                127.0.0.1;
                };
        };

zone "C.Y.X.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/var/cache/bind/X.Y.C.rev";
        allow-transfer {
                X.Y.D.253;
                };
        notify yes;
        also-notify {
                X.Y.D.253;
                };
        allow-update {
                X.Y.D.252;
                X.Y.D.253;
                127.0.0.1;
                };
        };

zone "D.Y.X.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/var/cache/bind/X.Y.D.rev";
        allow-transfer {
                X.Y.D.253;
                };
        notify yes;
        also-notify {
                X.Y.D.253;
                };
        allow-update {
                X.Y.D.252;
                X.Y.D.253;
                127.0.0.1;
                };
        };
zone "dhcp.MYDOMAIN.COM" {
        type master;
        file "/var/cache/bind/dhcp.MYDOMAIN.COM.hosts";
        allow-update {
                X.Y.D.252;
                X.Y.D.253;
                127.0.0.1;
                };
        also-notify {
                X.Y.D.253;
                };
        allow-transfer {
                X.Y.D.253;
                };
        notify yes;
        };
//**********End: /etc/bind/named.conf

The nsupdate.data file is now at 9k and growing.  I'm not sure if it
should shrink each time an update is successful or not.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff