Re: User with uid 1000 suddenly appeared on my woody-box.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 02:34:43AM -0500, ae roy wrote:
| I suddenly noticed when I wanted to recompile my kernel, which lies in
| /home/kernel/linux that I suddenly didn't have permissions in that directory
| anymore, although root in the past had done a chown in that directory giving
| it to the normal user. I used to have permissions, but something has changed.
| It now belongs to user with the uid 1000. There is no user with that uid, my
| users starts at 1001! Can someone shed some light on my problem?

I don't know _how_ you're machine got into that state, but files can
be owned by any UID regardless of whether or not a user has that UID.
When my machine had issues like this it was because I went from UID
500 (redhat) to UID 1000 (debian) and hadn't yet found all the files I
needed to chown.  If when you run 'ls -l' you see a UID instead of a
name it means no one actually has that UID.

-D

--

If we claim we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar and His
Word has no place in our lives.