Re: from casette tape to computer?

Quoting Cameron Matheson <cmatheson3@yahoo.com>:

> On Wednesday 23 January 2002 19:51, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> > I want to know if there is a way I can take material on a casette tape
> and
> > convert it to an audio file on my computer.
> > Thanks.
>
> This thread intrigued me, so I'm trying to record this Bad Religion
> tape, but
> I'm not sure where the volume on my cassette deck should be... i tried
>
> putting it all the way up, but that makes it all static-y, so should I
> have
> it all the way down, or at listening level or what?  Also gramofile only
>
> detected 2 tracks and i think that there should be more like 15.

Use a mixer program. Your hardware volume control should be at comfortable
listening volume. What you need to adjust is the line input volume on
your mixer.

My setup is a cassette Walkman with a double-ended wire from the headphone
jack to the line in. The volume on the WM is the same as if I were using
headphones. The mixer I use isn't deb'ed yet (unless it's in sid).
Just do an apt-cache search and find one you're comfortable with if
you don't already have one installed.

You can e-mail me off-list if you want more detailed technical info.

Bob