Re: Debian newgroup (related new question)

* Paul E Condon (pecondon@quiknet.com) spake thusly:
> I recently noticed that I have a news deamon running on my potato. I have
> never really used news. It has seemed to me to be an alternative to mailing
> lists that I didn't need because mailing lists seemed quite adequate for the
> purpose. But with my new email setup (mutt/fetchmail/exim) I am confronted with
> a constant stream of warning messages from the news deamon because it was never
> properly configured. I wouldn't know how to configure it. Do I need news?

Errm, news is client-server like everything else. Clients don't install
any daemons, AFAIK. If you have a daemon running, you must've installed
a news server package at some stage. No, you don't need a news server.
You may want to install news client and have a look at newsgroups
available on news.yourisp.com -- that might answer your next question.

> This list, and a few other Debian lists serve me quite well. What would I gain?
> Am I really missing something great?

alt.sex.pictures? alt.tasteless.penis?

Dima
--
One distinguishing characteristic of BOFHen is attention deficit disorder.
Put me in front of something boring and I can find a near-infinite number