Re: multiple words as single variable in bash?

Of course, that was the first thing that came to mi mind, too. But
it didn't work -- unfortunately I can't give you more details as it
was a friend's script, yet I couldn't stop thinking about it.
I thought maybe one could change the meaning of the spaces, e.g. by
assigning something to IFS?
Even if it was a mistake -- is there no other way then quoting? A
quick look at some manuals gave me the impression that this problem
might not be just a silly mistake of mine, can it?