Re: Debian, FHS & /floppy

on Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:31 AM +0100, martin f krafft (madduck@madduck.net) wrote:
> also sprach Mark Ferlatte <ferlatte@cryptio.net> [2002.01.22.0121 +0100]:
> > You know, MS isn't the only one that does this... the Linux SCSI
> > implementation would assign /dev/sda to the lowest SCSI ID on the chain,
> > so if you went back and added a new drive who's ID was lower than the
> > drives you've already had, all of your drive letters would move up by
> > one, 'causing no end of trouble.
>
> a short edit of /etc/fstab
> a possible recreation of a symlink in /dev, or two, or three
>
> what else?

Filesystem lables, mentioned at work (did I mention I got a job ;-), for
precisely the reason Mark Ferlatte mentioned.

Note too that devfs was (IIRC) designed to address this or similar
concerns.

Actually, the problem as mentioned to me was that using multiple SCSI
controllers in a system could result in arbitrary labling of /dev/sda*
and /dev/sdb* (or other SCSI devices) because their assignment is
dependent on the order drivers are loaded by the kernel, among other
factors (particularly an issue when using two different SCSI vendors'
cards, with differently configured kernels).

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org