Re: emacs not using auto-fill-mode

Am Montag, 21. Januar 2002 21:39 schrieben Sie:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:47:10 +0100, Joerg Johannes wrote:

> >> I have this in my .emacs.  Unless I'm using another major mode, this is
> >> automatic.
> >>
> >> (setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
> >> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
> >>
> >> gt
> >
> >Thanks, Gary, but this did not help, neither did the suggestion Michael
> >Hummel made: (add-hook 'text-mode-hook '(lambda () (auto-fill-mode 1)))
> >
> >Any other idea?
> >
> >PS: I don't need linewrapping in text-mode but tex-mode and/or latex mode,
> > so I replaced "text" with both "tex" and "latex" -- I don't think this
> > makes a difference ?
> >
> >joerg
>
> If I understand correctly, TeX and LaTeX are sub domains of text.  When
> I find "some.tex" the buffer comes up in "(TeX Fill)" and the
> mini-buffer will show "Loading tex-mode...done"
>
> I am baffled as to why the two lines I gave you don't work.  Did you try
> it as above, or did you do it only with your changes?  I don't know that
> TeX or LaTeX have hooks.  If you don't want line-wrap in text-mode, M-x
> auto-fill toggles it.
>
> gt

OK, now it works.. maybe next time I try to do what I'm told before I
complain again...
So you seem to be right that tex/latex-modes are sub-domains of text,
although I don't understand why. Speaking of understanding, I don't
understand very much of emacs' behaviour and its config file. However, emacs
is the best text editor I've ever used, so once it works I will never again
bother with .emacs!

Thanks again

joerg