Re: Certification?

At 08:45 AM 1/23/02, martin f krafft wrote:
not quite that harsh. the SAIR test is still a fair test (i should be a
poet), but its emphasis is more on the test itself rather than on the
{knowledge,experience} base it's supposed to certify. does that make sense?

and hey, i warn you: this is all my humble opinion, and i *am* LPI
affiliated. (but since LPI is non-profit, i am not interested in selling
this to you. i've made up my mind about LPI and SAIR, and that hasn't
changed since i did so. if i wouldn't believe LPI was better, i'd be
SAIR affiliated.)

I'm not affiliated with either group, and I decided a year ago to go with the
LPI exam if I ever took one. I'm prepping for level 1 now. Going though all my
old notes, getting ready to reinstall my box (mainly just for the heck of it,
but also to get used to going from scratch).

The thing I really didn't like about the SAIR exam when I read the web pages,
SAIR comes out and says that their level one exam is nothing more then to
make sure that your a power user and a help desk person. LPI says that they
aim higher then that for their level 1 test.

And from what I heard, and read, Red Hat's RHCE program is pretty tough if
have the money to spend on it. Most (not all just most) of the clueless upper
management I have dealt with over the years or had the joy of helping their
employees find Linux books, think that RH is Linux, and don't realize it's not.
(No Flame wars please just saying that there is more to Lnux then RH.) The
other side is, I don't have the money to pay for the RH exam ($700.00, with
no current income does not seem like a wise investment for me at this time,
and that's not including travel and boarding).