Re: Certification?

also sprach Paul 'Baloo' Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> [2002.01.23.1437 +0100]:
> > it's non-profit. thius logically means that SAIR might actually be more
> > popular and more respected, but i think that this is unfair to LPI. my
> > experience is that where people know off LPI, it's actually valued
> > higher than SAIR. LPI has higher standards and expectations, their exams
> > are harder IMHO than SAIR's. SAIR isn't a piece of cake either, but LPI
> > tests experience, comfort, and knowledge with/of Linux, whereas i found
> > SAIR to be testing their curriculum.
>
> Previous, real-world experiance versus being able to do a barf-test, in
> another words?

not quite that harsh. the SAIR test is still a fair test (i should be a
poet), but its emphasis is more on the test itself rather than on the
{knowledge,experience} base it's supposed to certify. does that make sense?

and hey, i warn you: this is all my humble opinion, and i *am* LPI
affiliated. (but since LPI is non-profit, i am not interested in selling
this to you. i've made up my mind about LPI and SAIR, and that hasn't
changed since i did so. if i wouldn't believe LPI was better, i'd be
SAIR affiliated.)

> > i would go for LPI, but then again, SAIR is better known. however, LPI
> > is soon going to fuse with the Usenix/SAGE[1] certification, then this
> > will change.
>
> Woohoo!

word up!

> > no. but debian is enough of a clean Linux to make either be a perfect
> > certification for it. both certs require knowledge of RPM though (as
> > well as DEB).
>
> Ouch.  Would be nice if RPM didn't suck harder than CAB...

not entirely true, RPM is very capable. in fact, there's little it can't
do compared to DEB. the packaging system itself isn't the only thing
that makes it good. DEB would suck without the FHS. but please, this has
been discussed to the point of death.

"friendships last when each friend thinks he has
 a slight superiority over the other."
                                                    -- honore debalzac