Re: not enough room in /var/.../... to hold all debs

*** I forgot to reply to list instead of replying to sender. :) ***

I ran into this problem a couple days ago on my 486 laptop (KDE is a bit
sluggish on it ;) )...

Try apt-get --option Dir::Cache::Archives="/folder/on/big/partition"
install <whatever>

Or, add Dir::Cache::Archives "/folder/on/big/partition"; to your
/etc/apt/apt.config.

Hope this helps. :)