not enough room in /var/.../... to hold all debs

My var partition is 240M.  As I attempted a dist-upgrade to woody, I was
told there is not enough room in the inn.

What are my choices here?  Must I resize the partition ( there is all
kinds of room in the home or usr partitions I could steal ), or could I
create a link into, say, home/debs?

When setting everything up, I did not get the impression that var needed
to be all that large.  Should I just bite the bullet, and start over--I
haven't gotten any production stuff on this machine yet.

this really sucks,

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash