Re: Xf86 4.1.0.1 configuration problem

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 10:25:45PM -0500, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 08:23:32PM -0500, cmm37@mccutch.com wrote:
> > I am trying to get X configured and started on my woody box, but I
> > cannot seem to make it happen.  I have run and rerun dpkg-reconfigure on
> > X a number of times, and hand audited the config file for obvious errors
> > (to the best of my ability with a limited knowledge of the arcane art of
> > X configuration).  When I run startx, I perpetually get
> > 	Fatal Server Error:
> > 	AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0
> > Looking through the log, I find nothing that would indicate a failure
> > elsewhere, and no more information regarding this one.  If anyone has
> > any ideas, I would like to hear them.  I attemped to find a similar
> > error reported on google and the debian lists to no avail.  Thanks in
> > advance.
> > -Conor
>
> As root try:
> XFree86 -configure
> --
> Jerome
Thank you, that has made my xserver at least find a functioning display.
I still am having some inexplicable difficulties though.  I have a very
poor monitor, only capable of 640x480 at 8bpp (better than a herc mono
though), and I cannot compel X to use that and only that resolution
without it doing something shitty to my screen.  I have in my "Screen"
section of the configuration:
SubSection "Display"
	Modes "640x480"
	Depth  8
EndSubSection
I would think that this is exactly what I would want, but the X server
reports that it finds no display for depth/fbbpp 4/4.  When I set the
depth to 4, it works, but I do not understand why it insists on having
4bpp.  I can force it to go to 8 by using the DefaultDepth option, but
then it sets the resolution to 320x200, and uses half of my screen
instead of the full thing.  I am stuck...