Re: Gtk error only when root! (??)

ferlatte@cryptio.net wrote:

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 05:40:10PM -0600, Richard Cobbe wrote (0.30):

Except that when you do `su -', as the OP noted, not all of your
environment settings propagate into the root shell.  Instead, after you
su, do the following:
   xauth merge ~user/.Xauthority
where `user' is the name of the user from which you su'd.  (If, for

The reason I prefer the $XAUTHORITY method (which does work with sudo
and su, just not `su -'), is that once you've set it in your environment
settings, it Just Works (tm) with no further mucking around on the users
part.

If you use sudo a lot, you can use it to provide graphical root-type
tools to non root users (stuff like ppp controls, or print queue
kickers) somewhat safely.

my solution to this problem is a bit more resouse intensive, but,... here it is:

run 2 X servers!

alt-ctrl-f1    # drop to shell
login as root
X :2 & # run X server on a different display - this will be alt-ctrl-f8 on my system
alt-ctrl-f1
hit enter
wmaker --display :2 & # run a window manager in the background on 2nd X server
alt-ctrl-f7
alt-ctrl-f8 # have one desktop for burning cd's or whatever, and the other for surfing or whatever

seems like a lot of work, but i dont reboot too often ;)

darrell