Re: OT: Rant

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 06:21:14AM -0600, Colin Watson wrote:
| On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:27:47AM -0500, dman wrote:
| > On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 09:26:57AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:

| > | man(1)                  Manual pager utils                 man(1)

| > That is a tabular layout.  You can achieve this with tab stops or a
| > table or a multi-column section of the document.
|
| Um, I'm confused. The two "man(1)" instances in the line Dave quoted
| above are flush with the left and right edges of the page, not aligned
| on tab stops. How does this differ from left- and right-alignment?

They're not on conventional tab stops; I'll give you that much.

Fire up MS Word (any version from 2.0 to 2k, I never used an older or
newer version so I can't speak for them).  You can set custom tab
stops by clicking in the ruler.  See how the arrow points up with a
tail towards the right?  That's a "left aligned tab".  When you tab to
it the text following the tab will be left-aligned at that point.  Now
click the little arrow symbol to the left of the ruler until you see
an arrow with no tail.  Now click in the middle of the ruler to place
a "center aligned tab" at that point.  Tab to it and enter text.  It
will be center-aligned on that tab.  Do the same thing to get an arrow
with a left pointing tail on the right edge of the margin.  That's a
"right aligned tab".

The difference is that typically the setting for "left aligned",
"center aligned", "right aligned" or "justified" is a paragraph-level
specification that describes the left and right margins of the
paragraph.  Those settings can't be applied to individual sections of
a single line.

Perhaps, though, there's just too much incompatible terminology
between the different typesetting/processing systems.  Described above
is the terminology I'm familiar with.

The LaTeX "center" environment follows that style too (FWIW).  (I
don't believe it is possible to have only part of a line be in a
center environment.  Nope, I just tried it.  \begin{center} starts a
new paragraph (or at least a line))

-D

--

Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers,
and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord.