Re: dialup priority

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 09:55:56PM +0200, Ian Balchin wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> Shortly after booting up, machine probably had been off for 24h,
> there is a flurry of activity from the hdd.  I imagine this is the
> file system being updated.  A look at top, for instance, shows ls
> being run and lots of other stuff too. This is a regular occurrence.
>
> At this time I was downloading the email when this happened (wvdial,
> exim, fetchmail, etc) and the email download came to a grinding halt
> while we had some many minutes of automatic operation tidy-up or
> whatever. We don't get free local calls here, the local monopoly has
> punitive rates designed to make them rich from internet surfers, so
> this is a matter of serious concern.

If you are running anacron, like I do, since the machine is down [there
is no reason for it to be up], then when you turn on the computer, just
wait for a few minutes or so until it's done updating..

That is the easy thing to do... There might be a way of making all processes
started by cron nice - that is make cron or anacron or whatever nice 10 or
nice 19 process. Then all the children should have the same priority..

- Adam