dialup priority

Hi, all,

Not too many facts here, will probably have to gather them.

My m/c is a standalone potatoe box running in console mode with a dial up
to ISP for email.

The other evening I booted up, and then promptly connected for the email.

Shortly after booting up, machine probably had been off for 24h,
there is a flurry of activity from the hdd.  I imagine this is the
file system being updated.  A look at top, for instance, shows ls
being run and lots of other stuff too. This is a regular occurrence.

At this time I was downloading the email when this happened (wvdial,
exim, fetchmail, etc) and the email download came to a grinding halt
while we had some many minutes of automatic operation tidy-up or
whatever. We don't get free local calls here, the local monopoly has
punitive rates designed to make them rich from internet surfers, so
this is a matter of serious concern.

Thought.  Surely my priorities are screwed up here?  If I initiate
a dial-up session, I want this to have priority over any
housekeeping task scheduled to run by cron or anachron.

What do you think? Should (can, how) I reduce priority of
housekeeping tasks or increase that of the dialup components? Can I
in fact do anything about this?

Any time that you guys can spend away from the enormous thread
developing on Debian and money etc. welcomed.  (Please keep comments
on-list).

Regards

--
Ian Balchin