Re: Red Carpet vs Apt-Get

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 03:35:48PM -0800, Camilux wrote:
| Hi!
|
| Just a quick question... is red carpet and apt-get more or less the
| same? i mean, from the little knowledge i have, i understand that
| RC is a software designed to handle package
| management/installation/updates automatically, finding
| dependencies and getting them, etc. much like apt-get... so are
| they equal? or are there any big differences?
|
| if im using debian, should i forget/not need whatsoever redcarpet?

I never tried RC, but you don't need it to use gnome.  I use the
debian-provided packages (from http.us.debian.org or whichever mirror
they got pulled from) that apt-get installed.  RC is only
useful/necessary if you want the packages made by Ximian.  It is also
designed, I think, for RPM based distros (like RH) that lack apt-get
in the first place.

-D

--

How to shoot yourself in the foot with Java:

You find that Microsoft and Sun have released imcompatible class
libraries both implementing Gun objects. You then find that although
there are plenty of feet objects implemented in the past in many other
languages, you cannot get access to one. But seeing as Java is so cool,
you dont care and go around shooting anything else you can find.
    (written by Mark Hammond)