Re: Trying to setup modules with modconf

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 12:42:57AM -0700, debian@xtremedev.com wrote:
| On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, dman wrote:
|
| > On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 01:39:56PM -0700, debian@xtremedev.com wrote:
| > | I'm following the online FAQ on building my own kernel, so far I've dpkg
| > | --install'd my custom kernel after a make menuconfig, and am now at the
| > | part where I'm suppose to run /usr/sbin/modconf to setup what modules I
| > | want to have loaded on boot. But when I tried to run it as root without
| > | any arguments (to go into GUI mode), all it does is dump me back to the
| > | shell prompt, and turn the background blue and remove my cursor. Screwing
| > | up my tty basically, and I can't clear it without a reboot.
| >
| > Have you tried typing "reset" or switching to a different tty and
| > killing the shell on the first?
|
| Didn't know about reset, will use that from now on if I should ever run
| into the same problem with the terminal again.

| And yes, I can switch to a
| different tty, but like I stated, the only way I knew then to clear out
| that tty was a reboot.

Have you tried killing the login process (bash or whatever) on the
hosed tty?

| > | Or more importantly how to resolve it? Is there another way of
| > | setting up modules in Debian I should know about besides modconf?
| >
| > Use your editor and edit /etc/modules.  It is a flat list of modules
| > names, one per line, of modules you want loaded at boot time.
|
| Looking at the date stamp on /etc/modules it's dated to when I first
| installed Debian. I've compiled the kernel and told it to load a great
| number of things by module support, this with kernel 2.4.17 (which is
| different than the 2.2.20 that came with the Debian that I installed.) Am
| I to assume all modules are named the same between kernel versions? Even
| one as large as 2.2.x to 2.4.x?

Most modules that existed in 2.2 have the same name in 2.4, I think,
but there are lots of new modules too.

| And since there's only four lines in /etc/modules, from the 2.2.20
| install, where am I suppose to get the module names I had selected to be
| modules in the 2.4.17 kernel? The documentation on Debian.org recommends
| that I use modconf. Should I not? And to be honest, I don't remember what
| all I had selected to be loaded as modules instead of compiled into the
| kernel during make menuconfig. I find this rather strange that there are a
| great number of scripts and make targets to handle a kernel build, and
| even menus to let me select which device to load as modules rather than
| static, yet when it comes down to it, I'd still have to look up the module
| names and hand type them into a flat file. If I have to I will, but I just
| though it strange. Unless there's yet another command besides modconf I'm
| not aware of?

I don't know of any command other than modconf to do this sort of
thing automatically.

The thing is, you don't _need_ to load all modules at boot time.  If
you did, there would be no point to modules.  Only load the modules at
boot time that you don't want to let load later.  Most modules will
load automatically when you need them.  For example the netfilter
stuff will load when you use iptables to set some rules.  Your
ethernet and sound modules will load when the devices are accessed.
The correct module for your system is identified by an alias in
/etc/modules.conf.

The only non-comment and non-blank lines in my /etc/modules right now
are :  (kernel 2.4.17)

~~~
apm
autofs
ide-cd
ide-floppy
parport
parport_pc
lp
usb
evdev
mousedev
keybdev
~~~

The currently loaded modules are :

~~~
ipt_MASQUERADE
iptable_nat
ipt_state
ip_conntrack
ipt_REJECT
ipt_LOG
iptable_filter
ip_tables
af_packet
tulip
lp
ide-floppy
ide-cd
cdrom
autofs
rtc
~~~

I have not loaded any modules manually since booting the machine.  (It
is important to load the usb input modules if you have them built as
modules and don't have ps/2 input or else you won't be able to input
anything!  Apparently I didn't build them as modules last time so I
should remove them from /etc/modules.)

-D

--

Folly delights a man who lacks judgement,
but a man of understanding keeps a straight course.