Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 04:54:22PM +0000, J.A.Serralheiro wrote:
> But somekind of non-monetary reward should be given.

Seeing people all over the world use software you've written and, once
in a while, thank you for it is an amazing reward in itself.

> If one day debian gets a little short in cash for its basic needs,
> there will be plenty of people willing to help.

This isn't noticeably happening so far. Debian has a small cashflow
through donations, and it goes towards things like running booths at
trade shows and the odd bit of hardware. Day-to-day expenses and the few
developers lucky enough to get paid for what they do happen through the
goodwill of sponsors. From where I'm sitting, this goodwill seems only
to be increasing.