Re: Warning: Do NOT upgrade base-passwd in unstable!

On 20/01/02 Colin Watson did speaketh:

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 02:10:40PM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>
> Well, quite, but the question you snipped was about why the maintainer
> didn't notice it. Although I occasionally test packages I build on, say,
> my workstation at work, I'll probably only do that if I think the change
> is particularly risky.

Should testing not imply a proper regression test? I think so.

> The problem with this, IMHO, is that it encourages people to set 'umask
> 022' routinely so that people in the same group can't write to files in
> their home directory. They then often forget to set 'umask 002' when
> working on shared files.
>
> I think one group per user combined with setgid directories is a much
> more practical solution, but I realize that this seems to be a religious
> issue.

Who sets group write permission on shared files?? I would _never_ do
that. It only encourages clobbering each other's changes. That's what
version control systems are for. If we're referring to such a
repository, maintenance scripts are for this purpose. I've been
working in such an environment for years and we've never had the
problems you suggest.

Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@mcss.mcmaster.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix